The Flower Garden
The Flower Garden lies to the south of the castle and was laid out c.1710 by the Thane of Cawdor's brother, Sir Archibald Campbell. Sir Archibald was, at that time period, manager of the family Estates in Scotland. The Thane himself had, as a young man, been sent to Poitiers, Blois and Paris to study law and fencing. That stay may be the reason for the French influence in the formal design of the garden.
By 1725, Sir Archibald had completed his work, levelling a considerable piece of ground and making a beautiful garden where all sorts of fruit grow. Of these original fruit trees a few remain, as do the clipped yew hedges which in summer are adorned with the pretty little climber 'Scottish Flame Flower' with its scarlet trumpets – however, there is nothing Scottish about it apart from its liking the climate, as it came from Chile.
The Lady Cawdor of the day designed the oval lavender borders enclosing rose beds in 1850. Her plan shows long rows of gooseberries, to which the family was addicted. In the 19th century, the family generally stayed at Cawdor only during the shooting season from August to October and so the garden was developed to produce a late show of blossom in long herbaceous borders, which are at their best from July to September. Those borders still exist, but the season for colours and scents has been extended by the introduction of bulbs, flowering trees and shrubs and plants selected for good autumn tints and attractive fruits.
Originally designed for enjoyment in late summer and autumn, The Flower Garden's season has been extended to give pleasure from early spring; with bulbs, bedding-plants, herbaceous borders, ornamental trees and shrubs all providing delight.